Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Welcome to "Drawing the Eye"

I see a lot of movies. I'm just throwing that out there for you up front. So, you can't say that I didn't warn you that 70% of my conversation revolves around these movies-- and another 5-10% around the creation of my own.

But, that is because I think that movies are the most complete form of storytelling that we have.**

And, in particular movie-centric fashion, I want to use a quote from a particularly beautiful movie from the past year to introduce my little blog and what I hope to do here.

"A poem needs understanding through the senses. The point of diving in a lake is not immediately to swim to the shore, but to be in the lake. To luxuriate in the sensation of water. You do not work the lake out. It is an experience beyond thought." 
-- Bright Star, Jane Campion


Here, at Drawing the Eye, I want to look at how we understand stories and emotion through our sensory perception. Why is it that the variations of purple in the still from Bright Star make me feel the same all engrossing interest that the letter brings to Fanny? Is it about lust? Or is this about just being-- total. The letter makes her whole-- the colors, mirror?

I don't know. And while it may seem like I am trying to 'work the lake out,' here-- I don't want to probe too deep, but rather to identify the senses that are engaged by this image. For my own practical purposes, if not anything else, I want to understand how to use color to make people smell flowers.
And, part of me thinks that just surrounding myself with all of the things that engage me... that I will be able to get some element of transference into my own work. So, I won't just be talking about movies, but about pictures, paintings, design, clothes, perfumes... anything that I think tells a story by engaging me in an experience beyond thought.

In the future-- posts will not be this text heavy. Hopefully, we'll all just be able to immerse ourselves in experience.

**We can talk about video games another time, but I think they're still working on figuring out that whole story + interactivity bit...

2 comments: